Wool Shorts

Wool Shorts
crochet wool shorts

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How I make plarn

I hope this is easy to follow - I may have to redo the photos with a darker color bag, but for now this is what I have!

First, take the bag, lay it out. I like to make sure it is flat & smooth.
Next I fold it in half.












Fold in half again.









Take the ends & cut them off. I usually cut off the top where the handles are so it is even, and try to get all the bottom off since that is where it is connected.













Hold it from the top middle fold so the 2 other folds are facing down and cut up but not all the way. Leave enough at the top to hold it all together. You can cut however wide you want - I generally try about an inch to an inch and a half.












Open it up! Now you will have a circle - like a hula skirt. This picture isn't the best way to show you, but I had to take the pictures myself.












Now to separate them! Starting from the right (or left, but I start at the right) go in at an angle to cut the strips. Only do this in 1 row. I like to do 1 row at a time. I cut it across the top of another (if that makes sense?)












After you do the row across like that, you then cut the rest of the apart even with your first cut lines. They should all be straight lines.












After you are done with the whole thing, you have one long plastic rope/string whatever you want to call it. Sometimes I cut some wrong, and end up having to make 2 pieces but that's ok! It will all connect. Find one end, and fold it down an inch or so, just enough to make a cut for a hole. Cut in, but don't cut it all the way to the end. This will be a hole where you take the other end and loop it though.












If this is the first piece you have, then you can skip the previous step & roll into a ball. After the first piece you do that step. Now you take a 2nd piece and do the same cut on the end as before. Take the first piece with the cut end & put in.












Don't pull it all the way through, just enough to get the hole you cut out. Take the other end of the plarn & put it through, as to make a loop. Pull that end all the way through. This will make your knot.












Roll into your ball and repeat!
I know I've seen other steps where you have to cut all the pieces & tie them, but I thought why create all the work? I'm sure there are other places out there with these same directions - I just hadn't come across them. I actually got this off a show on PBS, Knit & Crochet NOW, where they were making yarn from material, and this is how the guy connected them all, and the lady knitting bath rugs cut T-Shirts.

I hope this was easy to follow. I will get better pictures when I get to the gray or green bags I have - they are just holding the others right now.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment